Thursday, March 13, 2008

And so it begins...

I have known for many years that I wanted to adopt. When I met Greg I was thrilled to learn that not only was he dashingly handsome, he also thought adoption was for him. Since we've been married, we are constantly asked, "So when are you two going to have kids?" I always braced myself before I informed them that we planned to adopt. "Why?" or, "Can you not have any of your own?" was the usual response I got. Every once in awhile someone would give me positive feedback. I have learned that this does not matter - what God calls us to do is what is important.
And so we have taken the first steps toward our own adoption. I attended a CPS information meeting in January (Greg was sick). Tonight we filled out our agency preference list and tomorrow I will mail it to CPS.
I am excited and a little scared.
But I trust God.
We have decided that we are going to be open to gender, race, age and quantities. Yes, this means we are open to taking more than one child at a time. Now people are really going to think we are crazy :)
To answer another frequently asked question: we may have our own kids as well. I have NEVER ruled that out. However we both have a strong God-given burden for orphans and so that is where we will begin. And speaking of having babies, CONGRATULATIONS STEVEN AND CATHIE!! WE ARE SO EXCITED FOR YOU. I found out this weekend that one of my oldest friends is pregnant with her first child.

No comments: