Monday, May 5, 2008

Foster Care Motivations

If you had told me several years ago I was eventually going to become a foster Mom, I would have laughed at you. I've been around foster kids. They are broken. They can be mean - verbally and physically. They are VERY ungrateful. They falsely accuse their foster parents. Sometimes, they just don't care.

And so I've been asked, "What changed your mind"?

The answer is simple: God.

You see, we are not going through all of this to impress anyone. We are not doing this because we care if people think we are capable of doing it - although many good friends have strongly encouraged us on this journey. We are doing this because God has spoken to both Greg and I, and He's telling us that our kids are in the Texas State Foster Program - and that we need to get them out.

Foster-to-adopt is the best option for people who are looking to adopt foster kids. The statistics show that clearly. So we are preparing to tackle that obstacle until we find our kids. And it's important to point out that we are fostering in order to adopt. Fostering is not our main goal. We are building a group of trusted mentors to call up on for advice and preparation. Trust me when I say that we have not ventured into this journey without much prayer and deliberation. Or because someone else thought of it so now we suddenly want to do it.

The truth is that sometimes God leads us where we never thought we'd go. I have met many missionaries, most of whom would tell you they never dreamed of being in the ministry, not to mention living overseas. But once they did, they can never imagine their lives differently. We have met families who've adopted through the state. They tell us to hang in for a rough first year. Then prepare to fall in love and never be able to imagine your life without that child/children.

Following God's will is very serious business. When someone uses the phrase, "I felt/feel God leading", I always pause. Those words carry a heavy meaning, and one I am not willing to question. Only in the face of godly and respected counsel would I question what I believe to be God's will or calling.

In 2004 I spent a few weeks in Cambodia. They were some of the most amazing, life changing weeks I have ever experienced. Just before I left I had been "dating" someone who was completely inappropriate for me. That man stopped talking to me a few weeks before I left. I felt hurt, but I tried to moved on. One night in Cambodia I went to a worship service where many of us lead worship and one of the seminary students with us preached through an interpreter. The student was an accomplished speaker. He was a great guy who loved the Lord. While I listened to his sermon, I could hear a thought whispering through my mind. It was almost audible. It was saying, "Brandi, don't you want to hold out for My best? Don't you trust Me to provide you with your perfect mate? Listen to this guy, wouldn't it be nice if you could find a good Christian man who loves Me like you do? Please, trust Me and hold out for My best". I stopped worrying about that guy I was dating after that. I gave God my love life that night and four weeks after I came home from Cambodia I met Greg.

I tell you this story to make this point: I have never heard God's literal voice. But I have felt Him speak directly to my heart and trust me, it's something you can't ignore. And so I know now, as I have for many years, that God wants us to adopt. He is promising Greg and I that if we are faithful and trust Him, we're going to find our kids right where He leads us.

Is it going to be all fun? No. Are we going to be June and Ward Cleaver with our perfect kids and perfect parenting skills? No. Can we completely comprehend what we are getting ourselves into? Definitely not! But, we have the Creator of the universe in our corner.

My money is on us.


"What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?"
Romans 8:31

No comments: