Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Grandma Jacobs

We lost my Grandmother Tuesday, May 27th. She had battled heart disease, cancer and Alzheimer's for many years.

Although she lived in Ohio she always made an effort to come see us in the summers on her motorcycle. I love this photo of her with my Dad and Aunt.

I'm glad not many people read this blog: The lack of audience allows me to unleash really bad poetry....but trust me it's from the heart.

My Grandmother was a tough lady, but she had a soft side too. She loved us a lot and we loved her too. I will miss her.

I love you, Grandma.


_____________________________________

"Motorcycle Grandma"

By Brandi Spann

I will always remember lying by the pool of the hotel
Splashing in the water every summer
You always came
We loved you with your soft hugs,
Your raspy voice that called our Dad "Denny"
Holidays found us apart but you always remembered
Christmas and birthdays were never overlooked
And even through the distance we loved you


Later we would wait by the window in anticipation of the roar
The roar of your motorcycle coming down our street
We were so proud of our Motorcycle Grandma
and bragged about you to our friends
We loved with you with your kisses,
Your turquoise jewelry and your leopard prints
and even when you had to go
we loved you through the distance


Then you sent for us on an airplane
and that time we came to you
You made everything exciting and new
In many ways you were so strong
through heartache, loss
Strong but also fragile
you held on so many times
and always there was the distance


I can see you now
happy and content with the Lover of your soul
You have a healthy heart and clear mind
One day we will join you there
Through the promise of the Son
Until then we will remember
We know you had to go
and we will love you always, even through the distance

2 comments:

Instantly Mama said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you have such great memories with your grandmother. I know you will miss her.

Unknown said...

Brandi sweetie;
We are planning a private family graveside memorial for "sometime" in the future. We are hoping we can get your father here to be a part of this. I would love your poem to be read at this memorial. We know with the cost of airfare it's too much to ask for your entire family to be with us for this memorial.
Always remember--through the distance---we love you too.

xoxoxoxo
Aunt Ran