Wednesday, April 23, 2008

3 Down....3 To Go!

Last night we took a PRIDE class called PMAB. Please don't ask me what that stands for. Basically the class taught us what to do when a child confronts us verbally or physically. Basically you are not allowed to spank a foster child, or use any force against them unless you are putting them in a hold. And, say you're in Target and your foster child is screaming at the tops of his or her lungs, while lying on the floor, if that child is 5 or older you are not allowed to pick them up and carry them out. We also learned some techniques for getting out of an argument when you've told the child no and they won't give up. All in all it was very interesting and we got some creative ideas we never would have thought of.

We learned some moves to protect ourselves in the case that a child attacks us physically. I got really good at practicing my chokehold on Greg :) We met a family that fosters full-time and has 12 boys in their home. They assured us that being attacked physically is common. That was just what I wanted to hear - NOT! :) Oh well. They have been fostering for 5 years and have used other agencies. They said this one is the best so far, which assured us more than ever that we are in the right place.We are coming into contact with so many courageous, selfless and amazing people on this journey.

We had a lot of fun in the PMAB class... we haven't done a lot on our own lately so coming to these classes has been a chance to just hang out together. It was funny because on our way there last night I asked Greg if he had noticed that there is never any prayer at any of the classes. Even when they fed us Saturday lunch, no one gathered us together for prayer. Well at the end of our class last night our teacher closed us out in prayer. Now that's what I'm talking about!

I would like to apologize for all the "Venting" I've been doing... however I'm just trying to be honest. I guess I can't hide the fact that deep down, I'm a crybaby :) I'm hoping other people interested in fostering to adopt will find this blog and get a realistic idea of what the process is like. I would also like people to read through the lines... and see that even though I am constantly freaking out, the end results show that God was always in control.

No comments: