Friday, February 6, 2009

We got a call today, but...

we weren't picked.


I happened to glance down at my phone during one of my classes, and saw a familiar phone number on the caller ID. I went out in the hall to check my voicemail, and it was our agency.
The message said they had a boy, almost 2, whose mother was surrendering him. The mother thought that the little boy, who is non-verbal, might be autistic, and can't meet his needs. The message also said that I needed to call back in 15 minutes.

I did, and accepted the placement. If only it were that easy :) At that point, the agency sends our information to CPS (along with every other agency in the area). 5 hours later, our agency called to say we had not be chosen. The little boy was in a county about an hour from us, and a family from his area had been choosen.

Talk about a roller coaster ride. I kept my phone on vibrate in my pocket all day, thinking about getting that call. I'm beginning to understand that the wait has only begun.

I was a little surprised at how emotional I was when we got the call. Another teacher in our school has adopted three children through foster care, so I went down to tell him the news and started to cry a little. Fortunately he understood. It just became so real.

And so we'll wait for the next call - and God's perfect timing.

No comments: